BOSTON, Mass. – Seven different skaters recorded multiple points, including senior Nolan Redler (Winchester, Mass.) and junior Nick Albano (Beverly, Mass.) who combined for three goals and four assists as the 12th-ranked University of Massachusetts Boston hockey team (1-1) defeated Wentworth Institute of Technology (1-1), 9-2, Saturday afternoon.
SHOTS: WIT 24, UMB 28
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 8/19; UMB 6/12
POWER PLAYS: WIT 0-4; UMB 2-6
SAVES: WIT – Thomas Draper (49:06), 17; Ryan Bonnvie (10:54), 2; UMB – Bailey MacBurnie (40:00), 17; Sam Best (20:00), 5
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Just 21 seconds into the game, UMass Boston got on the board on a goal from junior Zack Bross (St. Louis, Mo.). However, Wentworth responded quickly when sophomore Joey O'Leary (Boston, Mass.) lit the lamp 56 seconds later.
- The Beacons took a 3-1 lead after the first period as Redler and freshman Ryan Brogan (Brick, N.J.) added first-period goals at 3:53 and 16:10, respectively.
- UMass Boston tacked on two goals in the second period with sophomore Jeffrey Skinner (Houston, Texas) and sophomore Evan Rochowiak (Livonia, Mich.) scoring to increase its lead to 5-1.
- Redler and Skinner scored 3:04 apart early in the third period to increase the lead to 7-1 before Albano and freshman Billy Grant (Mansfield, Mass.) tallied goals 2:26 apart, making it a 9-1 game.
- Senior Adam Tracey (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) scored his second goal in as many games with 3:32 left to make it 9-2.
- UMass Boston senior Bailey MacBurnie (Beverly, Mass.) made 17 saves over the first two periods before freshman Sam Best (Woburn, Mass.) made five saves in the final frame.
- Sophomore Thomas Draper (Binghamton, N.Y.) took the loss, making 17 saves in just over 49 minutes of work. Classmate Ryan Bonnvie (Falmouth, Maine) made a pair of saves over the final 10:58.
- Today marked the 11th all-time meeting between the two schools with UMass Boston running its series win streak to nine and unbeaten streak to 10 (9-0-1). The Beacons lead all-time, 9-1-1.
- Wentworth opens Commonwealth Coast Conference play this weekend against Western New England. Friday night the Leopards will be on the road and will host the Golden Bears Saturday at 3:00.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market