BIDDEFORD, Maine – Five different players scored goals, including sophomore Austin Morgan (Novi, Mich.) who also added an assist as the 11th-ranked University of New England ice hockey team picked up a 5-0 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology Friday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference action.
RECORDS: WIT, 2-2-1 (1-1-1 CCC); UNE, 3-1-0 (3-0-0 CCC)
SHOTS: WIT, 34; UNE, 20
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 4/8; UNE 2/4
POWER PLAYS: WIT 0/2; UNE 0-4
GOALIE SAVES: WIT, Ryan Bonnvie (23:08), 9, Thomas Draper (36:52), 20; UNE, Ben Churchfield, 20
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Morgan factored into both of UNE's first period goals as he assisted on junior Jeff Eppright's (Barrington, N.J.) goal at 5:47 of the opening period before giving the hosts a 2-0 lead when he scored at 14:48.
- The Nor'Easters scored twice in a span of 2:42 early in the second period to double their lead to 4-0. Just 26 seconds into the stanza, sophomore Brent Hill (Lunenburg, Mass.) scored while freshman Jared Christy (Tustin, Calif.) made it 4-0 at the 3:08 mark.
- At 7:13 of the third period, junior Brett Mecrones (Medford, Mass.) rounded out the scoring, making it 5-0.
- Junior Ben Churchfield (Newcastle, England) picked up the shutout, making 20 saves.
- Sophomores Ryan Bonnvie (Falmouth, Maine) and Thomas Draper (Binghamton, N.Y.) turned aside nine and 20 shots, respectively.
- Tonight marked ninth all-time meeting between the two programs with the University of New England running its series win streak to two and improving to 7-1-1 all-time against Wentworth The Leopards are 0-6 all-time at UNE.
- The two teams face off tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. in Everett, Mass.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.