EVERETT, Mass. – Senior Georgy Gorodetsky (Yekaterinburg, Russia) recorded a hat trick and sophomore Joey O'Leary (Boston, Mass.) assisted on three goals as the Wentworth Institute of Technology ice hockey team picked up its second straight win with a 6-2 triumph over Western New England in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Saturday afternoon.
RECORDS: WIT (6-8-1, 2-5-1 CCC); WNE (3-10-2, 1-6-1 CCC)
SHOTS: WIT 48; WNE 35
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 9/29; WNE 12/48
POWER PLAYS: WIT 2-8; WNE 1-6
GOALIE SAVES: WIT – Connor Carbo, 33; WNE – Kyle Carducci, 42
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Western New England netted the only goal of the first period, coming on the power play, as freshman Tyler Pohlig (Broomall, Pa.) scored at 17:53. The Golden Bears had a 13-8 shot advantage in the opening frame with seven of the Leopards' eight shots on goal coming on four power plays.
- Gorodetsky evened the score at 1-all to start a four-goal second period for the Leopards when he scored from O'Leary at 2:29. However, Western New England reclaimed the lead at 6:12 on a goal from junior Nolan Zweep (Abbortsford, B.C.).
- Just 30 seconds later, Gorodetsky gave the hosts the lead for good when he intercepted a pass deep in the Leopard zone and skated down the ice, tallying an unassisted goal. His second goal of the game ignited a three-goal run which saw freshman Carter Stephenson (West Vancouver, B.C.) score on the power play from freshman Sam Milnes (Middletown, R.I.) and senior Adam Tracey (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) at 11:54. Tracey and fellow classmate Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) set up sophomore Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) on the power play to give Wentworth a 4-2 lead at 12:28.
- The Leopards put a whopping 23 shots on net in the third period and increased their lead to 6-2 after freshman Guillaume Bose (San Jose, Calif.) scored from senior Connor Busch (Lake in the Hills, Ill.) and O'Leary at 2:15 of the third period and Gorodetsky completed his hat trick when he scored with 5:14 remaining in the contest, off assists from Bose and O'Leary.
- Freshman Connor Carbo (Berlin, Vt.) had an impressive collegiate debut for the Black & Gold, making 33 saves and keeping the Golden Bears off the scoreboard over the final 33:48. Western New England senior Kyle Carducci (Rocky Hill, Conn.) made 42 stops in defeat. Wentworth had a 48-35 shot advantage.
- Today marked the 39th all-time meeting between the two programs. Wentworth, which was already 1-0-1 against Western New England this season, has a 31-7-1 series advantage. The Leopards are 6-0-1 in the last seven meetings between the two programs.
- Wentworth travels to Curry on Friday, January 24, for a CCC matchup. The two teams will play in Everett on Saturday, January 25.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.