BURRILLVILLE, R.I. – Sophomore Curtis Carlson (Lakewood, N.Y.) and senior Nicholas Mangone (Massapequa Park, N.Y.) each recorded a pair of goals as the Nichols College men's hockey team defeated Wentworth Institute of Technology, 4-2, Friday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference action.
RECORDS: WIT (6-11-1, 2-8-1 CCC); NC (7-11-0, 4-8-0 CCC)
SHOTS: WIT 27; NC 32
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 1/2; NC 1/4
POWER PLAYS: WIT 1-2; NC 1-4
GOALIE SAVES: WIT – Connor Carbo, 28; NC – Matt Efros, 25
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wentworth broke the ice at the 6:22 mark of the first period when sophomore Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) scored from senior Adam Tracey (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.). The game remained 1-0 in favor of the Leopards until 11 seconds left in the period when Mangone scored his first of the contest. Nichols had an 11-8 shot advantage in the opening period.
- The Leopards regained the lead just 1:06 into the second period as Tracey scored on the power play from freshmen Carter Stephenson (West Vancouver, B.C.) and Sam Milnes (Middletown, R.I.). Carlson tallied the next two goals as he scored to tie the game at 11:25 and gave his team the lead for good with a power-play goal at 19:21. Nichols had a 14-8 shot advantage in the second period with 10 of their 14 shots coming on two power plays.
- Wentworth had a 13-7 shot advantage in the final period of play, however, was unable to get the equalizer. Freshman Connor Carbo (Berlin, Vt.) was pulled for an extra attacker with 28 seconds left and, while the Leopards had a pair of shot attempts blocked, Nichols was able to clear the puck, resulting in Mangone's second marker of the game, an empty-net goal with nine ticks left.
- Junior Matt Efros (Montreal, Que.) made 25 saves for the Bison while Carbo made 28 stops for Wentworth. Nichols had a 32-27 shot advantage.
- Tonight marked the 45th all-time meeting between the two programs with Nichols holding a 25-18-2 advantage. The Bison have won the last five meetings and are 14-1-2 in the last 17 meetings.
- The two teams square off against each other tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.