EVERETT, Mass. – Junior Jake Simons (Coral Springs, Fla.) scored a goal and assisted on two others to help pace the Endicott College ice hockey team to a 6-2 victory over Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Friday night.
RECORDS: WIT (7-12-3, 3-9-3 CCC); EC (17-5-0, 13-2-0 CCC)
SHOTS: WIT 27; EC 34
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 9-18; EC 6-12
POWER PLAYS: WIT 1-6; EC 2-9
GOALIE SAVES: WIT – Connor Carbo, 28; EC – Conor O'Brien, 25, X
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A fast-paced first period yielded quality scoring chances for both teams with Endicott freshman Zach Mazur (Lancaster, N.Y.) providing the lone goal of the period, coming at the 13:00 mark. The Gulls had a 13-10 shot advantage in the opening frame.
- Simons gave the visitors a 2-0 advantage with a goal at 6:18 of the second period before Wentworth got on the board nearly three minutes later after sophomore Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) scored from freshman Carter Stephenson (West Vancouver, B.C.) and senior Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.). Endicott netted two more goal in the period as freshman Connor Amsley (Carlisle, Pa.) and senior James Winkler (York, Maine) scored at 11:38 and 16:08, respectively. Wentworth had a 12-11 shot advantage in the second period.
- The Leopards brought the deficit back to within a pair after senior Georgy Gorodetsky (Yekaterinburg, Russia) scored a 4x4 goal, assisted by classmates Adam Tracey (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) and Drew DiGeronimo (Fitchburg, Mass.) at 5:07. Just 46 seconds later, Endicott added to its lead on a goal from freshman Kevin Craig (Hyannis, Mass.). Freshman Mitch Shaheen potted an empty-net tally with 1:20 left to complete the scoring.
- Sophomore Conor O'Brien (Pinellas Park, Fla.) made 25 saves in the win while freshman Connor Carbo (Berlin, Vt.) stopped 28 shots. Endicott had a 34-27 shot advantage.
- Tonight marked the 12th all-time meeting between the two programs with Endicott holding a 10-2 series advantage.
- The two teams square off against each other tomorrow night at 6:15 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.