EVERETT, Mass. – The Endicott College men's ice hockey team scored three goals in a span of 48 seconds early in the first period and never looked back, picking up a 7-1 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Saturday night.
RECORDS: WIT (7-13-3, 3-10-3 CCC); EC (18-5-0, 14-2-0 CCC)
SHOTS: WIT 20; EC 37
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 9-29; EC 5-10
POWER PLAYS: WIT 1-4; EC 1-7
GOALIE SAVES: WIT – Thomas Draper, (6:30), 3; Ryan Bonnvie (53:30), 27; EC – Conor O'Brien (40:00), 13; Elijah Harris (19:55), 6
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior James Winkler (York, Maine), who finished the game with a hat trick scored Endicott's first two goals when he tallied at 5:42 of the opening period and then added a power-play marker at 6:05. Twenty-five seconds later, freshman Matt Giroux (Bedford, N.H.) gave the Gulls a 3-0 lead before freshman Thomas Albert's tally at 9:20 made it 4-0. Wentworth got on the board at the 11:17 mark when senior Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) scored from freshman Carter Stephenson (West Vancouver, B.C.) and sophomore Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.). With 14 seconds left in the period, freshman Svet Kuchynski (Minsk, Belharus) made it 5-1 in favor of Endicott.
- After a scoreless second period, the Gulls tacked on a pair of goals in the third. Winkler completed his hat trick with a goal at 3:52 before freshman Elliott Clemmons (Rochester, N.Y.) scored at 7:20.
- Sophomore Conor O'Brien (Pinellas Park, Fla.) played the first two periods for Endicott, making 13 saves. Sophomore Elijah Harris (Haverhill, Mass.) made six saves in the third period. The Gulls had a 37-20 shot advantage.
- Tonight marked the 13th all-time meeting between the two programs with Endicott holding a 11-2 series advantage.
- Wentworth plays its final road game of the regular season on Friday, February 21, when the Leopards travel to nationally ranked University of New England.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.