SALEM, Mass. – Junior Lucas Amaral (Peabody, Mass.) scored the lone goal of the game and senior Christopher Jimenez (Nashua, N.H.) made eight saves as the Salem State University men's soccer team (2-2-0) defeated Wentworth Institute of Technology, 1-0.
Scoring: SSU – Lucas Amaral (unassisted), 38:44
Shots (on goal): WIT 9 (8); SSU 6 (4)
Saves: WIT – Robbie West, 3; SSU – Christopher Jimenez, 8
Corner Kicks: WIT 3; SSU 5
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A defensively played first half yielded few scoring chances for both teams, however, it was a set piece by the Vikings which led to the only goal of the game. A foul on the Leopards set up a free kick at the top of the left side of the 18-yard box. Amaral sent the ball towards the net and found the upper right corner.
- Salem State had a 3-2 shot advantage in the opening frame.
- The Black & Gold mounted pressure in the second half, taking seven of their nine shots over the final 45:00. Sophomores Eddie Smith (San Luis Obispo, Calif.), TJ Prouty (Glendora, Calif.), and Kaleb Gebremeskel (Georgetown, Texas) each put shots on net in the final 17 minutes.
- Gebremeskel's bid nearly tied the game just over a minute remaining, however, Jimenez made a diving stop on a low shot to his right.
- Just the second all-time meeting between the two programs, the series is tied at 1-all. Both games have been one-goal contests.
- Wentworth (1-2-1) hosts Bridgewater State on Saturday at Noon.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.