BOSTON, Mass. – Trailing 2-0 with 30 minutes remaining, the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's soccer team scored a pair of goals in a span of 10:24 to rally for a 2-2 tie against MIT in non-conference action Wednesday night on Sweeney Field.
SCORING: MIT – Peter Novoa (unassisted), 36:50; MIT, Alex Weiler (Peter Novoa), 59:36; WIT, TJ Prouty (Alex Moore), 60:25; Augustin Edwin, Jr. (Andrew Collari), 70:49.
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 16 (8); MIT, 23 (9)
CORNER KICKS: WIT 2; MIT, 3
SAVES: WIT – Robbie West, 7; MIT – Jeremy Cowham, 6
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After the opening part of the first half saw few scoring chances, each team put a shot on net within a minute of each other and had rebound attempts go just wide.
- MIT took a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute when sophomore Peter Novoa (Omaha, Neb.) slipped through the defense and put home a shot inside the right post.
- Novoa factored in the Engineers taking a 2-0 lead as he sent a pass from the top of the box to the left side where freshman Alex Weiler (Portland, Ore.) scored at 59:36.
- Just 49 seconds after the visitors took a 2-0 lead, Leopard sophomore TJ Prouty (Glendora, Calif.) put the hosts on the board after burying a shot from the top of the box off a feed from sophomore Alex Moore (Salem, Conn.).
- Wentworth tied the game with 19:11 remaining in regulation when sophomore Andrew Collari (Leicester, Mass.) served a free kick from midfield towards the box. Freshman Augustin Edwin, Jr. (New Bedford, Mass.) collected the ball and put a shot past senior Jeremy Cowham (Quincy, Mass.).
- After the remainder of the regulation and the first overtime saw neither team with a solid scoring chance, MIT outshot the Leopards, 7-2, in the second overtime, with three of those shots going on net. The Engineers nearly won the game in the 109th minute when Novoa had a shot saved by sophomore Robbie West (Weymouth, Mass.) and the rebound attempt by freshman Will Seiple (Boulder, Colo.) rang off the post.
- West finished with seven saves while Cowham had six stops.
- Tonight marked the 24th meeting between the two programs with MIT holding a 16-6-2 lead in the series
- Wentworth (2-2-1) entertains Gordon on Saturday in both teams' Commonwealth Coast Conference opener. Game time is slated for 3:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.