BOSTON, Mass. – The Wentworth Institute of Technology men's soccer team scored a goal in each half and sophomore Robbie West (Weymouth, Mass.) made a career-high nine saves as the third-seeded Leopards (10-7-2) defeated sixth-seeded Roger Williams (8-6-5) in a quarterfinal round game of the 2019 Commonwealth Coast Conference Men's Soccer Tournament.
With the win Wentworth advances to play second-seeded Endicott, a 4-0 winner over seventh-seeded Gordon, on Tuesday at a time to be determined later this evening.
SCORING: WIT – Nathan Gosselin (Penalty Kick), 21:15; WIT – Own Goal, 80:05; RWU – Nicholas Sanchez (Stathi Panagiotidis), 88:24
SHOTS (ON GOAL): WIT 6 (4); RWU, 13 (10)
CORNER KICKS: WIT 0; RWU, 8
SAVES: WIT – Robbie West, 9; RWU – Edmund Geschickter, 2
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wentworth nearly put a shot home in the seventh minute as senior Drew DeCoste (Somerset, Mass.) sent a bid just past the left post.
- Roger Williams put a pair of shots on net in the eighth and 10th minute where West came up with saves. And, in the 15th minute, sophomore Kaleb Gebremeskel (Georgetown, Texas) had a shot attempt from right on front that Hawk senior Edmund Geschickter saved.
- After West denied the Hawks twice in the 18th minute, Wentworth went on the attack and a foul in the left side of the box resulted in a penalty kick. Junior Nathan Gosselin (Hudson, N.H.) stepped up and buried the attempt at 21:15 to give the hosts a 1-0 lead.
- Play went back and forth for the remainder of the half with Roger Williams taking three shots and putting one on net.
- The Hawks had a pair of chances early in the second half, however, we unable to capitalize. In the 67th minute, a header off a corner kick sailed just over the crossbar.
- In the 81st minute, Wentworth carried possession into the attacking zone and Gosselin put a shot towards the net from the right side. His attempt hit the post, however, the rebound went in off a Roger Williams defender to give the hosts a 2-0 lead.
- Roger Williams cut the lead to 2-1 with 1:36 remaining in the contest. Senior Stathi Panagiotidis (Norwalk, Conn.) carried the ball down the left side and sent a cross towards the center of the box where senior Nicholas Sanchez (Franklin, Mass.) one-timed the feed inside the right post.
- In addition to West's nine saves, Geschickter made two saves for Roger Williams.
- The Hawks had a 13-5 shot advantage and an 8-0 edge on corner kicks. A physical game also saw 33 combined fouls and five combined yellow cards.
- Today marked the 39th meeting between the two programs with Wentworth winning its third straight in the series and running its unbeaten streak to six (5-0-1). Roger Williams holds a 19-16-4 series edge. Five of the last six meetings have been decided by a single goal. All-time in postseason play, Wentworth leads, 4-3-1.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.