WESTON, Mass. – Sophomore Samuel Ferro's (Whitman, Mass.) straight-set win at No. 6 singles provided the match-clinching point as the Wentworth Institute of Technology men's tennis team opened the 2019-2020 campaign with a 5-4 win over Regis Saturday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Leopards took two of the three doubles flights, however, it was the Pride who got on the board first as junior Matt DaRosso (Yonkers, N.Y.) and sophomore Sebastian Torres (San Juan, P.R.) topped sophomore Kevin Salomon (West Newton, Mass.) and junior Jarrett North (Roanoke, Texas), 8-3. Wentworth evened the match when junior Harrison Maki (Rutland, Mass.) and senior Mun Chet (Braintree, Mass.) defeated senior Jayson Vega (Ponce, P.R.) and freshman Lenny Tam (Waltham, Mass.), 8-3, at No. 3, and took a 2-1 lead after juniors Tyler Hall (Framingham, Mass.) and Tristan Maus (Mansfield, Mass.) earned an 8-5 win over sophomore Evan Russell (East Wareham, Mass.) and freshman Josh Nolen (Fairfax, Va.) at No. 2.
- Regis took a 3-2 lead with wins at No. 1 and No. 4 singles. At No. 1, Torres defeated Hall, 6-1, 6-2, while Nolen was a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Maus at No. 4.
- North evened the match at 3-all when he defeated DaRosso, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3, which began a 3-0 run for the Black & Gold as Maki defeated Tam, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5, and Ferro clinching the match at No. 6 with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Vega.
- Salomon battled in a three-set match at No. 2. He won the first set over Russell, 6-3, before dropping the next two sets, 4-6 and 8-10.
- Wentworth squares off against Johnson & Wales on Sunday. The match begins at 1:00 and will be played at Rhode Island College.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.