BRISTOL, R.I. – Senior Lara Lolacano (Lynbrook, N.Y.) recorded 22 kills and 11 digs and hit .395 as the second-seeded Roger Williams University women's volleyball team edged Wentworth Institute of Technology, 3-1, in the semifinal round of the 2019 Commonwealth Coast Conference Tournament.
Kills: Leah Rogoz, 18; Claire Quick, 14 (.310)
Assists: Jordan Chapman, 28
Aces: Quick, 3; Rogoz 2
Digs: Chapman 12, Quick 11, Lexie Cambray, 11, Rogoz, 10
Blocks: Riley Waggoner, 4 (1-3); Samantha Lassiter 4 (0-4); Rogoz 3 (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Trailing 6-2 early in the opening set, Wentworth clawed back to tie the set at 7-all after a Roger Williams attack error and quickly took the lead on a freshman Riley Waggoner (Simi Valley, Calif.) kill. Four more ties ensued before the Hawks took an 11-10 lead. A service error put senior Claire Quick (Mission Viejo, Calif.) on the line where she proceeded to serve seven straight points, giving the Black & Gold an 18-11 lead. Roger Williams pulled within three at 19-16, however, sophomore Mary Zlotosch (Dover, N.H.) put down a kill to end the set at 25-20.
- The second set saw five ties in the early going before the Hawks used a 7-2 run to take a 12-7 lead. The Leopards pulled within one (17-16) on a Zlotosch kill but a 6-1 Roger Williams run made it 23-17. Zlotosch recorded another kill and Wentworth forced Roger Williams into an error to make it 23-19 but the hosts took the second set, 25-20.
- Hitting .357 in the third set, Roger Williams got off to a fast start, taking a 7-2 lead and forcing the Black & Gold into a time out. The Hawks extended their lead to as many as seven (17-10) before Wentworth got as close as four points down on three occasions, including at 20-16. Roger Williams took advantage of back-to-back errors to extend its lead to six and picked up a 25-18 win after sophomore Katherine Pickard (St. Petersburg, Fla.) put down the kill which gave her team the 2-1 lead.
- Quick was on the service line for three of her team's first six points – including serving back-to-back aces – as the Leopards jumped out to a 6-2 lead. Roger Williams battled back to tie the set twice and took an 8-7 lead after a block from junior Katie Nugent (Lynnfield, Mass.). An attack error put senior Leah Rogoz (Woodridge, Ill.) on the line where she served four straight points to make it 12-8 and forced Roger Williams to take a time out. Wentworth increased its lead to as many as five (14-9) when senior Samantha Lassiter (Rogers, Ark.) and sophomore Jade Iadarola (Miami, Fla.) combined for a block. The Hawks crept back and eventually tied the set at 19-all on an attack error. The teams would be tied three more times; at 20, 21, and 22-all before Lolacano recorded a kill and Lolacano helped set up match point when she combined for a block. Lassiter and Rogoz staved off match point when they combined for a block, however, Lolacano ended the match with her 22nd kill of the night.
- Roger Williams (15-12) will travel to top-seeded Endicott for the 2019 CCC Championship match on Saturday at Noon. Wentworth sees its season come to an end with a 22-8 record. This year's senior class ends their well-decorated careers with an impressive record of 95-24.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.