CLERMONT, Fla. – The Wentworth Institute of Technology softball team competed in their first doubleheader of the season Monday, first defeating SUNY Potsdam 13-5, then beat the University of Pitt-Greensburg 10-0.
GAME ONE: Wentworth 13, Potsdam 5
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
Wentworth Batting Leaders: Kaitlin Pettenger (2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 3B, 4 RBI), Briana Beverly (2-for-4, 3 RBI)
Wentworth Pitching Leaders: Kayla DeMedeiros ((W, 1-0), 4 IP, 2 ER, 2K), Erin Hancock ((S, 1), 3 IP, 0 ER, 1H, 4K)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Leopards jumped on the Bears early, putting up seven runs in the opening inning. Senior Alexandra Pina (Cumberland, R.I.) tripled in a run to start things off, followed by junior Julia Bollentin (South Kingstown, R.I.) bringing Pina in with an RBI single. Sophomore Annabelle Hebard (North Attleboro, Mass.) provided another RBI hit, followed by two runners being walked in to bring the score to 5-0. Then with the bases still loaded, senior Briana Beverly (Pawcatuck, Conn.) singled in two more to finish the scoring for Wentworth in the top of the first.
- Potsdam was able to get four runs back in the bottom of the frame, getting started off by loading the bases. A run came across on a fielder's choice, then Emily Beck (Lowville, N.Y.) pushed a run across on an RBI groundout. A Wentworth error brought another run in, and an unearned run came across to get the fourth run on the board for the Bears, who cut their deficit to three following the four-run inning.
- The Leopards got one back in the top of the second, as Bollentin walked to start the inning then advanced to third after a pair of wild pitches. Another wild pitch allowed her to score, but the Leopards hit into a double play to end things with one run across. The Bears got a runner to third with two outs in to bottom of the second, but graduate student Kayla DeMedeiros (South Dartmouth, Mass.) was able to force a groundout to keep Potsdam off the board.
- Three more runs came across for Wentworth in the third, as junior Kaitlin Pettenger (Budd Lake, N.J.) drove in a run with an RBI double to left center to start the scoring. Beverly then brought her home with a run-scoring single. With two outs and Beverly on third, another wild pitch brought her home to extend the Leopards' lead to 11-4.
- Neither team was able to get anything going in their next turns at bat, as the Bears went down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the third, and Wentworth only getting a runner to first in the top of the fourth. After a double for Potsdam in the bottom of the fourth, an error by the Leopards allowed a run to come across as the Bears pulled a little closer at 11-5.
- Wentworth got caught trying to steal second in the fifth, ending their scoring threat in the inning. Junior Erin Hancock (Holden, Mass.) came into the circle in relief and ran into a little trouble after a pair of fielding errors, as Potsdam put two runners on with one out. But Hancock got a strikeout and lineout from the next two batters, then added another strikeout to end the inning.
- After the teams went scoreless in the sixth, Wentworth added some insurance in the seven. After Hancock doubled to lead it off and another batter reached on a walk, Pettenger smacked a triple to right-center, plating two and finishing the scoring on the day. Hancock picked up where she left off in the sixth, putting the Bears down in order to close it out with a 13-5 victory for Wentworth.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After the Bobcats were set down in order in the first by freshman Jess Rowe (Yardley, Pa.), who went four scoreless innings, the Leopards got their first two batters on base with nobody out. But they couldn't get a run across, as Wentworth stranded two in the opening inning. Pitt-Greensburg was able to get two runners on in the second following a single and a walk, but Rowe worked her way out of trouble, getting a ground out to end the top of the second.
- Following a single and a pair of walks in the bottom of the second, Wentworth had the bases loaded with two outs. Beverly then stepped to the plate, hitting a shot to right field that went over the outfielder's head, clearing the bases and giving the Leopards a 3-0 lead on a three-run triple.
- The Bobcats again got two runners on in the third but were turned aside, as Rowe got a flyout to end the scoring threat. Wentworth plated two runs in the bottom of the inning, getting started with a single by Bollentin and a double by senior Sabrina Haarstick (Bellingham, Mass.). Both runners advanced on a wild pitch, as Bollentin scored and Haarstick made her way to third. She was then brought home on an RBI single from senior Aurora Wilks (Fruitport, Mich.), extending the lead to 5-0.
- Pitt-Greensburg had their best scoring opportunity in the fourth, as the Bobcats put runners on second and third with nobody out. But Rowe didn't let a ball out of the infield after that, getting a popup and two groundouts to shut the door once again on a scoring chance.
- After the Leopards started off the fourth with two out and nobody on, back-to-back hits, including another RBI single from Bollentin, brought home the sixth run for Wentworth. With runners on first and third, an error brought in another run to make it 7-0. Wilks then stepped to the plate once again, and the senior crushed a three-run homer to left field to cap off a five-run inning for the Leopards, all coming after two out and with the bases empty.
- Freshman Katie Kranz (Bedford, Mass.) came on in relief in the fifth, and despite two runners reaching base, she was able to preserve the shutout and close things out in the fifth as the Leopards claimed a 10-0 victory.
- Today was the second time Wentworth has faced Potsdam, now holding a 2-0 record. The Leopards faced Pitt-Greensburg for the third time, and now lead the all-time series 2-1.
- The Leopards are back at it Wednesday, March 9, when they face Delaware Valley University at 2:00 p.m., then go up against the Sage Colleges at 4:15 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.