Nashua, N.H. – Freshman Isabella Perez (Homestead, Fla.) led four players in double figures to boost the Wentworth women's basketball team to a 91-70 victory in its season-opener at Rivier University Tuesday evening.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leader: Isabella Perez (15)
- Rebounds Leader: Erin Morton (8)
- Assists Leader: Isabella Perez (7)
- Steals Leader: Lyric Campbell (4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards made quick work of the Raiders in their season debut and turned a 3-3 tie into a 22-13 lead after the first quarter, led by seven points from junior Erin Morton (Norway, Maine). Classmate Molley Duclos (Greenfield, Mass.) chipped in with six points in the stanza, shooting 3-for-3 from the floor as Wentworth shot 55.6% (10-for-18) alongside its dominant run.
- While Wentworth never surrendered the lead, Rivier's Cydney Lessard erased the nine-point deficit on the heels of a 7-4 run for the 26-20 score. The Leopards responded with a 7-2 run of their own, capped by a three-pointer from Perez.
- Junior Kayla Kelley (Boston, Mass.) gave the Leopards seven points in the third quarter, including a shot from long range, pitching in to WIT's best offensive quarter of 29 points with 11 coming off the bench. Rivier also had its best shooting in the third, scoring 22 points of their own, while both teams split 17 points apiece in the final stanza, awarding Wentworth its first win of the season thanks to its heavy first-half charge.
- The Leopards earn their first win against the Raiders since their first meeting in 1987. Both teams had met just nine times before tonight's contest, with the last game held on December 3, 1994 in Nashua.
- The Leopards made 10 three-pointers in tonight's contest, which ranks second all-time.
- Wentworth gets a 1-0 start to the season for the first time since 2015.
- The Leopards head to New York for a non-conference weekend trip and will face Pratt Institute on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.