Wellesley, Mass. – The Blue of Wellesley College pulled away late in the contest to hand the Wentworth women's basketball team its first loss of the season, 66-51, on Tuesday evening inside Towne Fieldhouse.
- Wentworth (3-1)
- Wellesley (3-0)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Lyric Campbell (15), Kayla Kelley (10)
- Rebounds Leader: Winnie Kenou (6)
- Assists Leader: Erin Morton (3)
- Steals Leader: Isabella Perez (4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards hung with the NEWMAC foe Blue throughout the first half, as junior Kayla Kelley (Boston, Mass.) knocked in seven of her ten points after the first ten minutes to trail 18-14. The Blue clinched to the four-point gap and extended their lead to five, 29-24 after a jumper from Pujita Shukla just before halftime.
- Wentworth produced its best numbers offensively in the third quarter, shooting 50% from the field and 75% from three-point range while outscoring the Blue 17-14. Freshman Lyric Campbell (Madisonville, Ky.) went 2-for-2 from long range, and capped an 8-0 run from the Black & Gold to erase a ten-point deficit halfway through the frame, as the Leopards trailed by a single possession heading into the final ten minutes.
- The Blue outscored the Leopards 23-10 in the final quarter to seal the non-conference tilt, as foul trouble plagued the visitors while Wellesley sunk 12-of-13 shots from the free throw line.
- Wellesley holds a 3-0 record in the all-time series with Wentworth, while tonight was their first meeting since 2009.
- The Leopards host UNE in their home-opener at Saturday, November 23. Tip-off is set for 12:00 p.m. for the first Commonwealth Coast Conference game of the season.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.