Boston, Mass. – Boasting its highest first-semester win total since 2012, the Wentworth women's basketball team improved to 5-5 overall with a 66-52 non-conference win over Elms College on Saturday afternoon inside Tansey Gymnasium.
- Wentworth (5-5)
- Elms (3-6)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Stephanie Mini (16), Erin Morton (12), Lyric Campbell (10)
- Rebounds Leaders: Erin Morton (7), Stephanie Mini (6), Simone Barros (6)
- Assists Leaders: Stephanie Mini (4), Erin Morton (4), Lyric Campbell (3)
- Steals Leader: Emily Magasic (4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards played smart hoops out of the gates, outscoring Elms 21-12 and shot 47.1% from the floor in the first quarter. A 10-0 run led by lockdown defense and seven points from junior Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) set the Leopards out in front early before Elms made its first two buckets on freebies from the line. Elms connected on just two shots from the floor during the first ten minutes, but bucketed seven points from free throws.
- Elms stayed with Wentworth in the second quarter and came up one short in scoring, 15-14. Paced by 50% shooting from the floor and seven points off the bench from Shannon Cullen, Elms trailed Wentworth by eight points at halftime (35-27), falling victim to four points apiece from juniors Stephanie Mini (Topsfield, Mass.) and Molley Duclos (Greenfield, Mass.).
- Wentworth kept its eight-point lead after the third quarter concluded, as each team booked 12 points apiece, five coming from Morton for the Black & Gold.
- Elms sliced the deficit to two possessions after a 3-0 spurt from McKenzie Huria to begin fourth-quarter action, but a clutch three-pointer from senior Maya Spence (Georgetown, Mass.) brought the Leopard lead back to eight, 50-42. The Leopards outmatched the Blazers and closed the game on a 16-10 run with half their points coming off the hands of Mini.
- With the win, the Leopards close out their most successful first semester under head coach Matt Phippard, and best first-half season overall since 2012.
- The Leopards have shot 50% or better from the free throw line in nine of the last ten games, shooting 56.5% (13-23) from the line in today's victory.
- Mini's court-leading point total is a season-high for the junior.
- Having met for the first time just a season ago, the all-time series is now tied at one apiece (1-1).
- Following the Holiday break, the Leopards will look to build on their successful season with a trip to Mount Holyoke on Saturday, January 4th.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.