Boston, Mass. – Booking nearly half of the Leopards' total points, junior Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) carried the Wentworth women's basketball team to a 64-45 victory over Mount Holyoke on Saturday afternoon inside Howard Gymnasium. With its first win of the 2020 New Year, Wentworth boasts a 6-5 record in its most successful start since 2012.
- Wentworth (6-5)
- Mount Holyoke (1-11)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Erin Morton (31), Deangeliz Urena (8), Kayla Kelley (7)
- Rebounds Leaders: Erin Morton (16), Molley Duclos (9), Samantha Cormier (9)
- Steals Leader: Erin Morton (5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards made quick work of the Lyons in the first quarter and raced to an 18-8 lead on the heels of a 14-4 run. Morton set the tone early and scored 10 points in the quarter, more than the Lyons' combined team total.
- Mount Holyoke's Olivia Aries made a three-pointer to open the second stanza, but lockdown defense from Wentworth held the Lyons scoreless for the next four minutes. The Leopards scored 10 points of their own, with four from Morton and two apiece from Molley Duclos (Greenfield, Mass.), Deangeliz Urena (Methuen, Mass.) and Kayla Kelley (Boston, Mass.). At the halftime break, Wentworth held a commanding 30-14 lead.
- The Leopards' early damage kept them out in front for the remainder of the contest, despite Mount Holyoke ending on a 14-point charge in the fourth quarter. Morton gave the Black & Gold its largest lead of the contest, 54-30, with 7:38 remaining in regulation.
- Morton's 31-point, 16-rebound performance marks her second double-double of the season. She surpassed her previous career-high of 22 points set last season vs UNE, and becomes the first player to score more than 30 points in a game since 2007 (Emily Cring 12/8/07).
- Improving to 6-5 overall, the Leopards are riding their most successful start to the season since 2012, and best start overall under head coach Matt Phippard.
- Wentworth outscored the Lyons in the paint 36-24, and owned a 65-51 advantage on the glass.
- The Leopards earn their first victory against the Lyons in the three-game all-time series, but haven't faced each other since 2009.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.