Boston, Mass. – Salve Regina University overcame a ten-point deficit in the third quarter, and defeated Wentworth Institute of Technology 63-59 in Commonwealth Coast Conference action on Thursday evening.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Erin Morton (14), Deangeliz Urena (12), Molley Duclos (8)
- Rebounds Leaders: Molley Duclos (6), Kayla Kelley (5), Emily Magasic (5), Erin Morton (5), Deangeliz Urena (5), Isabella Perez (5), Winnie Kenou (5)
- Assists Leaders: Isabella Perez (4), Erin Morton (3), Emily Magasic (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled from the floor in the opening ten minutes, and adjusted offensively as the Leopards gained a ten-point lead in the largest gap game with 1:09 remaining in the third quarter, 48-38, following a layup from freshman Winnie Kenou (Mattapan, Mass.). Wentworth leading scorer Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) bucketed seven points in the third frame, as Wentworth held a seven-point advantage heading into the final ten minutes of play.
- Salve had its best offensive performance in the fourth quarter, shooting 40% from the floor, while eight points came from the free throw line. In turn, the Seahawks committed just two fouls to Wentworth's eight, as Morgan Shuey capped a 12-5 run with a freebie that tied things up 53-53. Shuey sank two more at the line and used a layup from Torie Scorpio before the Leopards were able to get back on the scoreboard, but the Seahawks stayed in front and held the home team to just 11 points over the course of the final quarter.
- The Seahawks earn their first conference win with the result.
- The Leopard pine outscored the Seahawk bench 18-12, highlighted by seven points apiece from freshmen Simone Barros (Woonsocket, R.I.) and Isabella Perez (Homestead, Fla.).
- Wentworth held the advantage on the glass (42-38) while both teams scored 20 points in the paint.
- The Seahawks scored 23 points off Wentworth turnovers.
- Salve extends its win streak with Wentworth to nine games and holds a 53-7 advantage in the all-time series.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.