Boston, Mass. – Western New England University shot 53% from the floor to defeat the Wentworth Institute of Technology 90-43 in Commonwealth Coast Conference women's basketball action on Saturday afternoon.
- Wentworth (6-8, 0-6 CCC)
- WNE (11-3, 4-1 CCC)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Isabella Perez (12), Kayla Kelley (9), Erin Morton (8)
- Rebounds Leaders: Isabella Perez (4), Deangeliz Urena (3),
- Steals Leader: Isabella Perez (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opening minutes of the contest, WNE's Emily Farrell bucketed a three-pointer to give the Golden Bears a 7-2 lead early on. Wentworth junior Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) cut the deficit to a single possession with a trey of her own, 7-5, before WNE exploded with an 20-6 run to end the first quarter 27-11. Over the first ten minutes, WNE shot 66.7% from the floor and 60% from long range, while outrebounding the Leopards 14-2.
- The Golden Bears continued to connect offensively, shooting 52.9% in the second quarter, holding the Leopards to 11 points on defense. Freshman Isabella Perez (Homestead, Fla.) scored four points in the stretch for the Black & Gold, while Morton tacked on three before halftime.
- WNE's early damage kept the visitors in front throughout the second half, as the Golden Bears took their largest lead with 27 seconds left in the game.
- Four of five Golden Bear starters registered double digits on the scoreboard, while Meghan Orbann booked a double-double with 11 points and 12 boards.
- WNE used a 53-24 advantage on the glass to down the Leopards off the shot, 40 of which came on offense.
- WNE runs its win streak with the Leopards to 12 games and holds a 20-2 advantage in the all-time series.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.