Wenham, Mass.- Gordon College used a 21-7 run in the first quarter to take charge early, and defeated the Wentworth women's basketball team 66-48 in Commonwealth Coast Conference action on Wednesday evening.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Isabella Perez (13), Winnie Kenou (11), Erin Morton (9)
- Rebounds Leaders: Winnie Kenou (8), Isabella Perez (6), Erin Morton (5), Molley Duclos (5)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Fighting Scots shot 47.1% in the first quarter and jumped to a 13-0 lead midway through the stanza. The Leopards struggled from the floor and made their first basket with 2:53 to go when senior Maya Spence (Georgetown, Mass.) knocked in a trey, but Gordon closed the frame on an 8-4 run with two three-pointers.
- Freshman Isabella Perez (Homestead, Fla.) scored half of the Leopard points in the second quarter, but as a team, the Leopards went 5-for-14 and 1-for-5 from long range. Gordon tacked on 20 more points before halftime, led by eight from Meghan Foley who went 4-for-6. After Simone Barros (Woonsocket, R.I.) opened the quarter with a layup, Gordon scored a quick seven points for a 28-9 advantage. The double-digit lead carried the hosts into halftime by a 41-19 score.
- The Leopards outperformed the Fighting Scots as a whole in the second half, including in the last ten minutes with a 16-10 run. Junior Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) booked five in the final ten, but the early damage did the visitors in as Gordon earned a 66-48 victory.
- Gordon owned a 50-32 advantage on the glass and held WIT to nine offensive rebounds.
- Both teams were evenly matched in the paint, with Gordon narrowly outscoring Wentworth 26-24.
- Wentworth scored 15 of its points off Gordon's 16 turnovers.
- Gordon has won the past five games against Wentworth and holds a 28-14 advantage in the all-time series.
- The Leopards have an off-week before jumping back into league play next Wednesday, January 22nd with a league matchup at Endicott.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.