Boston, Mass. – Despite leading 33-26 at halftime, the Wentworth women's basketball team fell to a substantial run in the third quarter to Nichols College for a final score of 78-62 on Saturday afternoon inside Tansey Gymnasium.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Points Leaders: Erin Morton (13), Emily Magasic (12), Isabella Perez (12)
- Rebounds Leaders: Isabella Perez (6), Kayla Kelley (4), Emily Magasic (4), Erin Morton (4)
- Assists Leaders: Isabella Perez (7), Erin Morton (4)
- Steals Leaders: Erin Morton (5), Kayla Kelley (4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After both teams traded baskets for a 6-6 score early on, Nichols turned a quick run to lead 10-6 after a jumper from Ciarri Formby-Lavertu. The Leopards answered with a run of their own and closed the quarter on a 6-5 run for the 16-11 lead.
- Wentworth used 44.4% shooting from the floor to pull away from Nichols in the second, and took its largest lead of the game, 33-20, with a jump shot from Molley Duclos (Greenfield, Mass.) at the 1:52 mark. Senior Emily Magasic (West Milford, N.J.) bucketed five points to lead the Leopards into the halftime break with a 33-26 advantage.
- Isabella Nerney led Nichols out of the break, scoring a quick five points in the midst of an 11-4 run which tied things up 37-37. Nerney broke the stalemate with a three-pointer and the 40-37 lead, as Wentworth chipped away at the deficit, puling within a single point, 44-43 after two points from freshman Isabella Perez (Homestead, Fla.). Nichols ended the third quarter with a 6-0 run, leading 50-43 after a jumper at the buzzer from Alexis Finnerty.
- Wentworth wouldn't be able to match Nichols' momentum heading into the final ten, as the Bison 50% from the floor, 50% from three-point range, and 83% from the free throw line in the last stanza to secure the league win, their third of the season.
- Four of five starters scored in double figures for the Black & Gold.
- Nichols outrebounded the Leopards 47-29.
- Both teams scored 21 points apiece from the other's turnovers.
- Nichols completes the regular season series with two wins and moves to 19-17 in the all-time series.
- Wentworth will face fierce competition on Tuesday with a 5:30 p.m. tipoff at the University of New England.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.