Boston, Mass. – The Wentworth women's basketball team honored its two graduating seniors, Emily Magasic (West Milford, N.J.) and Maya Spence (Georgetown, Mass.) before this afternoon's Commonwealth Coast Conference contest against Gordon College in Tansey Gymnasium.
The Fighting Scots pulled out a 79-47 victory, led by 35 points from Meghan Foley.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Leading Scorers: Emily Magasic (13), Erin Morton (13), Maya Spence (8)
- Leading Rebounders: Winnie Kenou (10), Samantha Cormier (6), Emily Magasic (3), Erin Morton (3)
- Assists Leaders: Emily Magasic (2), Erin Morton (2), Maya Spence (2)
- Steals Leaders: Kayla Kelley (2), Emily Magasic (2), Erin Morton (2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Fighting Scots raced to a 20-4 lead over the first seven minutes, paced by nine points from Foley. Wentworth closed the quarter with a 6-0 run, highlighted by a deep three-pointer from sophomore Samantha Cormier (Rochester, N.H.), as the scoreboard read 20-10 in favor of the visitors.
- Wentworth ignited a spirited comeback in the second quarter, shooting 58.3% from the floor, 50.0% from long range, and 100% from the free throw line. Freshman Francesca Farrell (Stoneham, Mass.) sparked a 6-2 run, capped by a jumper from Emily Magasic (West Milford, N.J.) that shrunk the gap, once at 16 in the first quarter, to six by a score of 22-16. Gordon answered with a run of their own, and built the lead back up on a 14-6 run for the 20-36 score with 2:45 to go before halftime. Wentworth was down but not out, as Maya Spence (Georgetown, Mass.) drained a three-pointer, and combined with consecutive treys from Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) and Magasic to shrink the gap to seven points, 36-29. Magasic bucketed the Leopards' final three points, who then trailed by just four points, until Foley sunk a last-second three as the Fighting Scots led 39-32 at the break.
- Unfortunately for the Leopards, Foley booked 13 of her blistering 35 points in the third quarter and sank two at the line on the heels of a 12-5 run. Gordon built the lead back up to 16, again after a Foley freebie at the 1:31 mark, and extended the lead to 19, 62-43, with two free throws from Sarah Gibbs to end the quarter.
- Gordon, which outscored Wentworth 23-11 in the third, held on to its lengthy gap until the final whistle sounded, gaining its largest lead of the contest with a minute left in regulation.
- Magasic was one-point shy of her career-high.
- Kenou sets a new career-best on the glass with her 10 boards.
- Gordon runs its win streak to six against the Leopards and holds a 29-14 advantage in the all-time series.
- Wentworth will play host to Pine Manor in its final non-conference game of the year on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.