Boston, Mass. – Junior Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) powered the Wentworth women's basketball team past Pine Manor College, 62-54, inside Tansey Gymnasium on Tuesday evening. Morton bucketed 29 points, including 5-for-7 shooting from three-point range, and recorded her sixth straight game in double figures. With the result, the Leopards earned their eighth win of the season, which is the most since 2010.
- Wentworth (8-14)
- Pine Manor (5-11)
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Leading Scorers: Erin Morton (29), Kayla Kelley (10), Maya Spence (8)
- Leading Rebounders: Isabella Perez (8), Molley Duclos (7), Kayla Kelley (7)
- Assists Leaders: Isabella Perez (7), Kayla Kelley (3), Erin Morton (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter was evenly matched, as Morton and Kayla Kelley (Boston, Mass.) combined for back-to-back treys for a 6-4 lead at the 6:39 mark. The junior duo then bucketed two points apiece for a 10-4 advantage, but the Gators answered with a 10-5 run, thanks to four points from Mandy Mastropasqua, who tied things up 10-10 with a deep three-pointer. After the first quarter, the Leopards held a 15-14 advantage. While the Leopards never relinquished the lead, the Gators knocked at the back door before halftime, cutting a five-point deficit down to two, 28-26, at the break.
- Unfortunately for Pine Manor, who trailed 43-38 after the third quarter, Morton went 3-for-3 from long range and scored 13 points over the final ten minutes. After a freebie from Nandi Eskridge pulled the Gators within a single possession, 43-41, Wentworth turned a 9-3 run and three-point frenzy, all off the hands of Morton to boost the Leopard lead, 52-44. Morton's spurt kept the Leopards out in front until the final whistle for their eighth win of the season.
- This marks the third game Morton has booked 20 points or more, and second over the past three games
- Wentworth sports its winningest season since 2010, and best overall season under head coach Matt Phippard's reign
- WIT owned Pine Manor on the glass by a 50-40 margin, and dominated the paint 24-12
- Isabella Perez leads the Commonwealth Coast Conference in 4.8 assists per game
- Wentworth earns its second straight win against Pine Manor, and holds a 7-1 advantage in the all-time series dating back to 2009.
- The Leopards will host Endicott on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. for their final home game of the season.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.