BELMONT, Mass. – Picking up wins in two of three doubles flights and four of six singles flights, the Wentworth Institute of Technology women's tennis team picked up its first win of the season, doubling up Suffolk, 6-3, in a non-league match played at Belmont Hill School.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards claimed the No. 3 doubles match by virtue of default before the Rams evened the match at 1-all as the No. 1 duo of sophomore Ilda Ascic (Sarajevo, Bosnia) and sophomore Kendall Smith (Stuttgart, Germany) defeated junior Ali Sollecito (Taunton, Mass.) and freshman Morgan Collins (Warwick, R.I.)
- Wentworth reclaimed the lead with a win at No. 2 doubles as senior Sam McGibbon (Pembroke, Mass.) and junior Olivia DeLuca (Dunstable, Mass.) bested sophomore Jordan Miller (East Longmeadow, Mass.) and freshman Bianca Prescott (East Granby, Conn.), 8-6.
- Wentworth increased its lead to 3-1 with a default win at No. 6 singles before Suffolk cut the lead to 3-2 when freshman Alyssa Beade (Killingly, Conn.) defeated junior Hannah Erickson (Columba, Conn.) in a three-set thriller. Erickson won the first set, 7-6 (9-7) before Beade came back to force a third set with a 6-1 win and took the match with a 6-4 win in the third set.
- DeLuca gave the Black & Gold a 4-2 lead when she defeated Smith, 6-3, 6-2, while Ascic then pulled the hosts back within one (4-3) when she defeated Sollecito, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 1.
- McGibbon's 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 3 clinched the match for Wentworth, giving the visitors a 5-3 lead before Collins picked up an 8-4 win over Prescott at No. 4.
Wentworth (1-2) is at St. Joseph's (Conn.) on Tuesday.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.