MILTON, Mass. – The Wentworth Institute of Technology women's tennis team raced out to a 3-0 lead after doubles play and never looked back as the Leopards picked up their first Commonwealth Coast Conference win of the season with an 8-1 win over Curry.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Juniors CiCi Deakin (Standish, Maine) and Hannah Erickson (Columbia, Conn.) picked up Wentworth's first point of the day when they won the No. 3 doubles flight by default. Junior Ali Sollecito (Taunton, Mass.) and freshman Morgan Collins (Warwick, R.I.) made it 2-0 with an 8-6 win at No. 1 over freshman Sophia Wiernusz (Collegeville, Pa.) and junior Alison Daigle (Edgartown, Mass.). Junior Olivia DeLuca (Dunstable, Mass.) and senior Sam McGibbon (Pembroke, Mass.) completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win over freshman Natalie Volvo (Hermosa Beach, Calif.) and junior Kelsie Merrill (Hope, Maine) at No. 2.
- Deakin picked up the win at No. 6 singles with a win by default and McGibbon defeated Valvo at No. 3, 6-4, 6-1, setting the stage for Collins to clinch the match with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Merrill at No. 4.
- Sollecito defeated Wiernusz, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1 before the Colonels notched their lone point of the day as Daigle defeated DeLuca, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2.
- Erickson wrapped up the match with a three-set (6-4, 4-6, 10-8) win over junior Samantha Gilbert (Bedford, Mass.) at No. 5.
- Wentworth (3-5, 1-3 CCC) squares off against Lesley on Thursday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. at Harvard University.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.