PORTSMOUTH, R.I. – Senior Eric Lipa (Lockport, N.Y.) scored 2:06 into overtime to lift the 12th-ranked Salve Regina ice hockey team to a 4-3 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference action Saturday night.
RECORDS: WIT (2-5-1, 1-4-1 CCC); SRU (7-0-0, 6-0-0 CCC)
SHOTS: WIT 34; SRU 38
PENALTIES/MINUTES: WIT 2/4; SRU 4/8
POWER PLAYS: WIT 1-4; SRU 0-2
GOALIE SAVES: WIT – Thomas Draper, 34; SRU – Louis-Felix St. Jean, 31
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game got off to a fast start with the only goals of the first period coming 52 seconds apart early in the first period. Salve Regina took a 1-0 lead when junior Erik Udahl (East Walpole, Mass.) scored from classmate Danny Eruzione (Winthrop, Mass.) at 1:10. At 2:02, Wentworth evened the score as senior Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) scored from senior Adam Tracey (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.). The Seahawks had a 14-13 shot advantage through the first 20:00.
- Lipa helped Salve Regina take a 2-1 lead when he assisted on sophomore Matthew Kidney's (Leonardo, N.Y.) goal at 2:10 of the second period. Seventy-eight seconds later, Eruzione and junior John McLean (North Andover, Mass.) assisted on sophomore Tyler Carangelo's (Hamden, Conn.) marker, which increased the host's lead to 3-1. Junior Jake Hallisey (Quincy, Mass.) was set up on the power play by sophomore Joey O'Leary (Boston, Mass.) and sophomore Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) at 12:34 to make it 3-2.
- Wentworth battled back and evened the game at 3-all when McKenelley scored at 12:34 of the third period. The Leopards had an 11-8 shot advantage.
- Salve Regina had a 4-0 shot advantage in the extra session with Lipa finding the back of the net off a rebound of a freshman Spencer Stanley (South Lyon, Mich.) shot with Vincent Mariano (Waterford, Mich.) also picking up a helper on the game winner.
- Sophomore Thomas Draper (Binghamton, N.Y.) made 34 saves while sophomore Louis-Felix St. Jean (St. Bruno, Que.) stopped 31 shots.
- Tonight marked the 38th meeting all-time between the two programs with Wentworth holding a 28-7-3 series advantage. Salve Regina is 4-1-2 in the last six meetings. Five of the last 10 meetings have been decided by one goal with four of the last six games going to overtime.
- Wentworth will play in the Manchester PA Stovepipe Tournament next Saturday-Sunday (November 30-December 1). The Leopards square off against UMass Dartmouth in Saturday's first-round matchup.
For the latest on Wentworth Athletics, follow the Leopards via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Wentworth Leopards "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.